Bad breath (halitosis) can be an unpleasant and embarrassing condition. All of us suffer from bad breath from time to time, especially in the morning. Some common reasons for bad breath include:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Periodontal (gum) disease
- Tooth decay
- Tobacco Use
- Prescription medications
- Medical conditions
Your Dallas, TX dentist wants you to be informed about the reasons for bad breath and how to eliminate it. While there may be a medical reason for chronic bad breath, there are some easy lifestyle changes you can make to minimize the risk.
- Don’t smoke: While there is a multitude of reasons to quit the bad habit of smoking, one of the more obvious is to eliminate the external smell (clothes and body) and internally (your mouth).
- Don’t eat foods with strong odors: Avoid onions and garlic, especially before or during an important business meeting or another event where you need to interact with others. Onions and garlic leave a strong odor because they contain elements that make their way into your bloodstream and travel to your lungs until you finally breathe them out.
- Do floss: Flossing isn’t only necessary for your oral health to prevent cavities, but it dislodges food particles that would be otherwise stuck between your teeth, trapping bacteria and causing a distinctive odor.
- Do chew sugarless gum: If you can’t brush your teeth immediately after eating, try rinsing out your mouth with water or chewing sugarless gum about 20 minutes after mealtime. Chewing stimulates saliva production, which combats bacteria and cavities that lead to bad breath.
Chronic breath is not only unpleasant, but it may also be an indication of a more serious problem like periodontal disease. Please call your Dallas, TX dentist to arrange an appointment. You may be surprised that’s all that’s needed is a thorough dental cleaning to refresh your smile.
- Want to Fix a Crooked Smile? 3 Reasons You Should Consider Invisalign Clear Braces in Dallas, TX
- 3 Drinks to Avoid If You Want a Bright Smile! Shared by Dallas Teeth Whitening Dentist
- What Can Porcelain Veneers Do for You? The Dallas, TX Cosmetic Dentist Shares Their Benefits
- The Dallas Cosmetic Dentist Explains Bonding, a Conservative Smile Makeover Option
- Dallas, TX Dentist Explains Risk Factors for Oral Cancer
- The Facts You Need to Know about Orthodontics Shared by Dallas, TX Cosmetic Dentist
- 3 Reasons to Choose Porcelain Crowns Shared by Dallas, TX Cosmetic Dentist
- The Dallas, TX Dentist Explains What You Need to Know about Mini Dental Implants before Deciding
- Do Genetics Put You at Higher Risk for Cavities? The Dallas, TX Dentist Shares Updated Information
- The Dallas, TX Invisalign Dentist Reviews Top 3 Reasons to Consider Invisalign Clear Braces
New Patient Special!
$99 for comprehensive exam, x-rays and regular cleaning.
*new patient without insurance only, restrictions apply.
How it works, how much it costs, and much more...