What is the first thing you notice when you first meet someone? Beautiful, healthy teeth allow you to smile with confidence, which helps create a great first impression.
But if you’re feeling self-conscious about dental problems, you probably have a tendency to hide your smile. Healthy teeth are, by nature, more attractive because they allow your confidence to shine through. Proper oral hygiene is the first step towards achieving oral health, and the Dallas, TX Dentist wants to share some tips to help you get the most out of your daily routine.
Proper Brushing Techniques
- You know the drill – brush at least twice a day. Once in the morning and then again before bedtime. If you are not sure which brush is right for you, talk to your hygienist about which type of brush is most appropriate for your needs.
- When brushing near the gum line move the brush in small and gentle circular motions.
- You do not need to apply a lot of pressure. This can actually damage gums and tooth enamel.
- Be certain to brush every surface of every tooth, cheek-side, tongue-side, and chewing surfaces. You want to be especially sure to reach all surfaces of the back teeth.
- Gently brushing your tongue will help remove fungi, food and debris.
Flossing Tips for a Healthy Smile
- Flossing after meals, or at least twice daily, is an effective way to remove plaque from between teeth. There are several different types of dental floss available, so ask your dentist which one they recommend.
- Cut a piece of floss about 18” long.
- Wrap one end of the floss around the middle finger of the left hand and the other end around the middle finger of the right hand until the hands are 2-3 inches apart.
- Work the floss gently between the teeth toward the gum line.
- Curve the floss in a U-shape around each tooth, carefully sliding it beneath the gum line.
- Carefully move the floss up and down several times to remove inter-dental plaque and debris.
If you still have questions, contact our Dallas, TX Dentist office. A member of our dental team will be more than happy to answer them for you.